Friday, December 27, 2013

Annual 'Nom Nom' recipe.....Caramel covered Bugles

I'm one of those people who does NOT appreciate the recipes that take up the second half of Decorating  magazines.  I like to eat, sure, but I really don't like to cook.If I wanted a cooking magazine, I'd have bought a cooking magazine! So I know this is a design/art/painting  blog...but I do from time to time share a recipe that is so good it just HAS to be shared. But I keep it to a minimum of ONE.PER.YEAR. You're welcome!

Here's this year's Nom Nom.   (This recipe is originally from "My Crowded Kitchen" blog, but I made a few changes.


                                                           

Caramel Covered Bugles


Ingredients:
1 bag Original Bugles
Pecan halves (you can use a lot or a little or leave them out all together, I've seen other recipes that call for a can of mixed nuts, it's up to you.)
1 cup butter, unsalted
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
You must have a candy thermometer to make this.

Spray Pam or other non stick cooking oil onto cookie sheet, then spread out the Bugles and nuts.
Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
In a heavy duty sauce pan, combine butter, brown sugar, corn syrup,vanilla,cinnamon and salt. Place on medium heat, stirring until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Continue to boil (low boil) until candy thermometer reads 'firm ball'. (This takes about 10 minutes).
Remove from heat and add baking soda. Sprinkle it in, instead of dumping it in. The caramel sauce will foam up. Make sure to stir in the soda thoroughly.

Evenly pour mixture over Bugles and nuts. Gently toss with a spatula to cover the Bugles and nuts.

Bake at 250 for 45 minutes total, re-coating and turning the Bugles after every 15 minutes.

After 45 minutes, remove to parchment paper and let cool.  Try to spread out the Bugles as much as you can because as they cool, the caramel will harden and stick together. Try to make small clusters of 1, 2 or 3 Bugles but don't worry if you don't, you can just break the hunks apart after they cool.

This recipe is easily doubled, however I usually end up with more Caramel than I need.

Nom Nom! 



No comments:

Post a Comment