Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Dancing Palms Painting







So I've been invited to teach an Abstract Paint Techniques class at an upcoming Decorative Arts Convention in January. It's in January, in Naples Florida...where it will be sunny and beachy and delicious.
For some reason, I have a very hard time with 'tropical' design. Living in the midwest, most 'tropical' stuff I find is cheesy and looks like it's straight off the shelf at Hobby Lobby. (Not that Hobby Lobby is bad, mind you....)
You would think the prospect of sunny, beachy deliciousness would uncork the mental blockage that surrounded this piece of art! I started it MONTHS ago....and didn't love it until rather recently. The color scheme is black,teal, eggplant, silver and 2 shades of gold. Once I changed the color scheme from bronze and red and gold, the painting just came to life. In class, we will discuss some ways to get the creative juices flowing and what to do if you get stuck.

Now, I'm super excited about it, and the trip to Naples, and I hope that lots of artists sign up for my class!
Here's the link! Open Decor Faux Show 2011

Scroll down to the "Dancing Palms" class with Elizabeth VanHoutan

If you have any questions about this class, you may email me at chicpaintcontest@gmail.com


Detail of raised dots and palm leaves

In this 'workshop' style class, we will not only create a painting on canvas ( your canvas will not have wooden stretcher bars), but we will create mini samples of other techniques that you can use when you go on a consultation for a custom piece of work.


You do not need to have any kind of realism skills to create this type of artwork. Most of the work I create and sell relies heavily on layers of shapes and colors and interesting composition.



See that funky sunburst in the corner? That's one of my FAVORITE images, which...I am not ashamed to admit, is applied by using a stencil. In fact, for this piece we will use several stencils, including a crocodile skin pattern and some other circular designs.
If you are looking for a great way to get off the ladders, expand your business, and have a fun weekend in the sun....check out the Open Decor show! Hope to see you there.


Link

No comments:

Post a Comment