Sunday, November 20, 2011

Notes on an art show


This last weekend was my first 'official' art showing (self produced, but official none-the-less). My good friend Wanda Timmons and I teamed up to put on this show and we held it at her studio, which is huge, and has beautiful walls. We called it "Hollywood to Highpoint...Avenue of Art and Design". Why? Well, I like to think my work is kind of like a fun party....and her furniture is of such high quality, that it rivals anything at the furniture markets in High Point. Both of us would have liked to have had a ton more time to prepare, but at some point you just have to go for it and put yourself out there.
My custom canvas work has been seen in the homes of my clients for years, but this was the first time I just created a bunch of art that I like and put it out there, hoping people would 1. like it too and 2. buy it. I'm pretty happy with the results. I talked to a lot of people (about more custom work) and sold a decent amount of art. I really enjoyed talking to people about my work and hearing the nice things they had to say, since my local arts' council called my work 'bland and predictable' back in June,I've been a little worried about it. Being a decorative artist, I have the unique perspective of being in the creme d'la creme of homes in my area. I KNOW what people what to hang on their walls, and it's usually not the disturbed, freaky, tense and angry stuff that isn't...um.....bland or predictable.
I wanted to create art that I knew would sell, but would also be soulful and have a story to tell, and still, be true to who I am as an artist.

This piece seemed to have been the favorite, and received the most feedback.
I sold it to one of my existing clients, and when I delivered it, I got to see it in its home, which made me so happy to see that it looked like it was designed to go there!
I created this painting, and its companion as somewhat of an afterthought. I love creating patinas and corrosion and things of that sort in my faux work, and just thought it would translate nicely to a canvas. Seems like maybe I should just stick with what I know. The 'fauxy' looking work is what was the most well received.

The companion piece to "Riveting" is "Rustic Landscape". It's the closest thing to realism that I created.
Here's another rust painting I created titled 'Patina'. This piece is the combination of a lot of highly metallic powders and paints, plus an authentic rust creating chemical process. It seemed to be still evolving over the two day show, which was highly amusing to the neat little candy man whose booth was set up right in front of it.

For this first show, I created two 'collections' to help keep me focused in my creating. The biggest collection was the "Memoirs" Collection, which featured soft, wispy images, rust, old book pages, stained cloth and other crusty, cracky kind of things. Here are a few pieces from that collection.

Bird on a Wire



Suzani



Don't Fence Me In

Ancestral

This is a huge painting and was also one of the favorites. It has embedded book pages and lots of texture. A friend of mine approached me about recreating this for her family with her kids' birth certificates instead of book pages. I really enjoyed hearing ideas from people. Another couple asked me if I could recreate one of my tiny collages on a large scale with family photos.

The other collection I created had a working title of "Big Top". I personally am drawn to bold and bright things, with lots of black and white stripes and dots and humorous elements. I spent the most time on these works, although they are the smallest. Most of them were inspired by events in my own life, and creating these works brought me a tremendous amount of joy. I sold most of these, and I'm not sure if it was the price point, or the content. It will be interesting to see in May when we do another showing.

Some pieces in the ' Big Top' Collection.


Stick/Ball set on a silk strie' wall. I didn't know I would be hanging these there beforehand, turns out they looked AMAZING there!



A little 'red' corner in the shop

When I loaded up my work to take it to Wanda's shop, I thought I had soooo much to show. I had about 33 pieces in a variety of sizes. When I merchandised them, I though oh crud...I could really have about twice as much. But I'm not a factory, I'm an artist. Every piece I ended up showing I was really proud of and every piece I sold I was happy to let go of.

All in all, was it worth it? Well, yes....for the amount of exposure I got , the number of people who walked out of there with my card in their hand, the conversations about potential custom work, and just the feedback from the generous folks who came out to look and see what we were doing.
I'd have liked to have sold a few more of the big pieces, but I have to remember the time of year it is, and the economy we are experiencing, and the fact we were competing with the Christmas Parade, and an Illini game.. Plus, in this new world of 'fine art' , I am an upstart. A nobody. It's humbling to start a new venture like this. Hopefully, I'm just a nobody...for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment