Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Scherenschnitte Style

Silhouettes via colormekatie.blogspot.com


In the early 80s, my mom joined one of those 'crafty' book clubs, and we received a book of Scherenschnitte patterns and a pair of tiny curved scissors. I took a particular liking to this art form, and many a totem pole- of- farm -animal- silhouette- was cut and framed in oak with a country blue matte! I even made a future birth announcement for my future child.

From wikipedia: " Scherenschnitte which means "scissor cuts" in German, is the art of paper cutting design. The art work often has symmetry within the design, and common forms include silhouettes, valentines, and love letters. The art tradition was founded in Switzerland and Germany in the 16th century, and was brought to Colonial America in the 18th century by immigrants who settled primarily in Pennsylvania."

Today I stumbled upon the website Famille Summerbelle and fell in love on the spot! Check out their Paris, London and New York City maps. Wow!
I started looking around on the intertubes for more Scherenschnitte and I discovered the absolute heights that some artist have taken this form.

Like Su Blackwell, and this Scherenschnitte dress.

And this map of San Francisco by etsy artist :Studiokmo

And of course, Tord Boontje



Then there are things that remind me of Scherenschnitte.
I've blogged about this Marimekko fabric before. Kanteleen pattern via marimekko.com


This wall finish ( yes that's a wall finish) by Modello Designs, incorporates silhouettes that are over stenciled with floral designs for a fanciful and whimsical look. Modello Designs is so kind as to provide the directions for this finish here. (Advanced skill level required)

I covet a collection of silhouettes simply framed and arranged for maximum impact.
via decorista

The piece de resistance girls' bedroom via House Beautiful Magazine.



How hilarious is this? via designvagabond.blogspot.com

I love when old things become hot again and silhouettes and scherenschnitte are on fire!
Case in point: cameo cookies! Yum~



via deliciousmagazine.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment