Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Chinoiserie ( one image, NSFW)

Insipred by this photo, which is just BEYOND BEYOND!!!! and the fact that it's Wednesday night and therefore my 14 year old daughter has posted ANOTHER photo of herself and her best 3 year old buddy, whom she babysits on Wednesday evenings, who happens to be from China....I am dedicating today in honor of Chinoiserie.

I have had several Asian phases in my life, the first being when I myself was 14 and I vowed that 'when I grow up...' everything in my house was going to be Asian inspired. I think you can trace that 'mini-obsession' back to my parents' Lakehouse that is shaped like a glass lined octagon and at one point was designed in this style. MY bedroom had not only a mirror on the ceiling, but paper lanters, a koi fish shaped bedside table and dresser drawer pulls that were tiny little locks that you better not lose the key to, if you ever wanted to see Strawberry Shortcake again.

Typing 'chinoiserie' into google image search, I stumbled upon the following photo. Which kind of has me scratching my head. For two reasons...1...did I misspell it? and 2. why is she not morbidly ashamed of her boobies? I mean they are shaped pretty much like my boobies, only bigger and less saggy but SHE sure doesn't seem morbidly ashamed. To her I say, "One or two more babies and you'll be tied for first place!" but I digress. (and hilariously, it is via curvyshopper.com)


Google images, you are the mother of all things surprising. I did find this delightful business card via zazzle.com which I am just going to have to order for my new business. I only wish that were my actual address...although that IS my area code,so hmmmm......But how adorable and in my favorite favorite favorite color combination of aqua and red! (plus, I have a bird thing going). I'm sure unless you've been under a rock somewhere for your entire life, that you know that red is the favorite color of China. It equals....all good things. Paint your front door red and you'll get rich. Wear red and you'll get attention. Put it on your flag and you'll dominate the world.

Does anyone remember that horrid show on HGTV called "Room by Room" which basically subjected us to a new 'theme room' every morning at 9:00. I hate theme rooms. More than 3 of something in a room and you've pushed it too far. As with all things, I think Chinoiserie goes over best when there's just a hint of it in a room.

via Country Living



How sweeet is this little handpainted detail? It turns a necessity into something really fun! Photo by Antony Crolla of artist Irene Feesy's home. (say her last name veeeery carefullllly)




Okay. When I die? Just stick my urn on a shelf in here. This is the best laundry room ever. Maybe the best ROOM ever! I love the cartoon like quality of the wallpaper. It's chinoiserie with a wink and a sense of humor. (via designsponge) And if you can't tell, that's a Chanel poster which makes the laundry room even that much more stylish. The reason why I would like to spend eternity in a laundry room like this is because as the mother of 4...daughters....my laundry room has NEVER EVER EVER been this organized, clean, or void of laundry...EVER!!!




This is the kind of chinoiserie that makes me go......zzzzzzz....very predictable but I do kind of dig the blue panels behind the plates,which could be painted on, for the budget saavy.
Thanks Charlotte Moss, you trailblazer , you. (via housebeautiful)



Another designsponge find....(where do they find all this goodness?????). I'm really into symmetry right now (another thing I swore I would never like!), loving those silver and bamboo-ey lamps. I also like how the funky plant in the corner kind of mimics the funky leaves in the wall panels. I'm also bird obsessed, and there are cranes hiding there. I think this is actually a booth from a homeshow but there is a lot to glean from this photo.
I have to tell you about a blog that I absolutely love and it's www.iometro.blogspot.com
It's put out by a furniture store called I.O. Metro and they have Vern Yip on the payroll. It's very hip and fun and Chinoise-ey...check it out!

For more Chinois yummy goodness click here.


2 comments:

  1. Hi! I know this is late, but thank you so much for featuring my laundry room!! I'm a mother of two, and can't belive how much time I spend in that room myself! (it's a never ending job)

    I have to admit, it's my favorite room in the house, and doing laundry ALWAYS makes me happy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am so happy to meet the actual owner, that is the cutest laundry room I've ever seen!!!!
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete