Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Happy Shiny Place...Mary Blair and the art of It's a Small World



Mary's work is so triumphant!




When I was 17, I went to Ecuador as an exchange student. When I was 17 and 1/2, I went to Los Angeles to visit 4 American friends I met in Ecuador. We spent one glorious day at Disneyland. While we were there, we spent a good 3 hours, riding in a little boat, in "It's
A Small World". For one thing, AIR CONDITIONED. And another thing, FREAKIN' AWESOME!!! (if not slightly creepy)






** I must take a moment to apologize for the ear worm of a song that is likely now playing in your head. I read somewhere that it's the most translated song in the world. Originally, the 2 brothers who worked with Walt Disney on the music for this attraction, wanted all different national anthems to be playing at the same time. So....it could be worse!**

I took my girls to Disney World in 2007 and was completely blown away by the beauty of this ride. I vowed right then and there that someday, I was going to paint a mural in this style. Someone, PLEASE hire me!!!! (note to Disney lawyers...I said "in this style"...not an exact copy...so shove it.)
I started doing a little research and found out that the Art Director of this project was Mary Blair. You probably would recognize her other Disney work...she Art Directed Cinderella and Alice in Wonderland, and had a hand in others. (Mary Blair working on "It's A Small World"



But she was super productive and made quite a name for herself in the 60s with her charming and frequently geometric illustrations. I love Mary Blair. She is one of my all time favorites.
I have never, in all my years of stealing images off the internet, run into more copyright protected photos in my life!!!
Mary Blair didn't belong exclusively to Disney though, her art can be seen in museums from time to time, and she is the illustrator of several Little Golden Books .




I think her work would make an amazing textiles collection, and the way she laid out patterns is just so inspiring. This book is a must have: The Art and Flair of Mary Blair, but it's pretty pricy, so I'll have to let you know when you've clicked on enough ads for me to afford this book! If my darling Mikey is reading, ahem...birthday in June, used is fine. half.com or amazon...anywhere you can find it really, I'm not picky.
(editorial...I am publishing this posting w/0 photo credits. Blogger is being a butt and I can't seem to edit at the moment. Will do soon, Disney lawyers.)


Work by Mary Blair


A Mary Blair mural location unknown


Photo by Brian Kendig @ wikipedia
Tile Mural at Disney's Contemporary Resort (a small section of the 90 foot high masterpiece)






This would make an awesome skin for my ipod!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I love your blog. The Blair tile mural of unknown location is at Disneyland in Anaheim, CA.
    It was right at the entrance of Tomorrowland. They have since been covered over by Buzz Lightyear and Star Tours marquis, but they are still there under the new facades.

    ReplyDelete